Head, Department of Business Analytics & Statistics
Haslam College of Business
The University of Tennessee Knoxville
The Head of the Department of Business Analytics and Statistics provides strategic leadership for the department, integrating its goals with, and influencing the goals of, the greater Haslam College of Business. This position frequently communicates with external constituencies and fosters a culture of research and academic excellence internally. It oversees the success of two undergraduate programs, two master’s programs, a doctorate program and the research efforts of 21 full-time faculty members.
The department comprises applied researchers focused on practical impact and theoretical researchers focused on methodological contributions. We emphasize the quality of publications over the quantity, with recent publications appearing in ACM, ASA and INFORMS journals among others. A full list of our department faculty members can be found here with bios and publication lists. Departmental faculty members also teach in the college’s top-ranked MBA and Executive Education programs and participate in initiatives sponsored by the Business Analytics Forum.
The Department of Business Analytics and Statistics is one of six departments in the Haslam College of Business. The college serves approximately 5,100 undergraduate and graduate students. Its 128 faculty members are responsible for teaching in a variety of AACSB-accredited undergraduate and graduate programs. Alumni gifts have allowed the college to establish over 40 faculty chairs and professorships. More information about the college.
The Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee is seeking candidates who have the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the university. The position is to remain open until filled.
- Holds Ph.D. degree in statistics, operations, management science, analytics or closely related field
- Tenured faculty member holding the rank of professor or eligible to be appointed to the rank of professor
- Demonstrated leadership ability and communication skills
- Experience with managing financial activities of an academic unit
- Ability to effectively manage tenure-track and non tenure-track faculty and carry out faculty and staff evaluations
- Ability to work effectively with other departments in the college and university
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with external constituencies and participate in donor relations and business development activities
- Possessing a strong academic research and scholarly portfolio
- Ability to grow the department's current base of industry partners for student placement, applied research projects, student projects and the Business Analytics Forum
- Ability to develop and implement a long-term strategy to advance the department
- Experience as department head or other significant administrative position
An Application For This Position Should Include:
- A cover letter that expresses interest in this position
- A resume or academic vita
- A general statement of the candidate's vision for the Department of Business Analytics and Statistics. (not to exceed one page in length)
- Names and complete contact information for three references. References will not be contacted until a final pool of candidates is approved.
The application should be addressed to:
Anne D. Smith, Chair, BAS Department Head Search Committee The University of Tennessee
Haslam College of Business
408 Stokely Management Center Knoxville, TN 37996-0550
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and admission without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, and parental status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the University of Tennessee affirmatively states that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or disability in its education programs and activities, and this policy extends to employment by the university. Inquiries and charges of violation of Title VI (race, color, and national origin), Title IX (sex), Section 504 (disability), the ADA (disability), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (age), sexual orientation, or veteran status should be directed to the Office of Equity and Diversity, 1840 Melrose Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996-3560, telephone 865-974-2498. Requests for accommodation of a disability should be directed to the ADA Coordinator at the Office of Equity and Diversity.