Scholarship & Application Information
Additional details about the scholarship:
- Participants will sign up for 3 units of BAS 494R each semester (up to 3 units can be used to satisfy BAS major/concentration/collateral requirements).
- Scholars will receive an award of $3400 for the year ($1700 disbursed at the end of Fall semester, the remainder at the end of Spring semester).
- Participants will meet with your matched faculty member weekly to ensure adequate and steady progress on the research is maintained.
- Scholars are expected participate in at least one of the following (see links contained in http://ugresearch.utk.edu/ for more details)
- the Exhibition of Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement (EURēCA, an annual event that showcases research and creative activities by currently enrolled undergraduate students in collaboration with a University of Tennessee, Knoxville faculty mentor), which usually takes place in April. See http://eureca.utk.edu
- The National Conferences on Undergraduate Research, which usually takes place the end of March. See https://www.cur.org/what/events/students/ncur/
- The Undergraduate Research Symposium (URSA) for UT students (http://ugresearch.utk.edu/activities/undergraduate-research-symposium/)
- Submit a publication to Pursuit, a journal at UT for publication of undergraduate research (http://trace.tennessee.edu/pursuit/)
- Another avenue proposed by your research mentor if appropriate
To be considered for the 2021-2022 academic year Melton Scholarship, please submit the following to Adam Petrie (email@example.com) no later than April 18:
- Resume and unofficial college transcripts (which can be freely downloaded from myUTK)
- Statement of Interest – tell us why you want to be a Melton Scholar and what you hope to get out of the program! What about analytics excites you? Have you applied analytics methodology on your own “for fun”? In your statement of interest, address how you envision your participation in the program will be related to your plans after graduation (graduate school, job, location, etc.).
- List of Interests and Skills - Since we want to pair students and faculty members with common interests, please outline what broad topics (supply chain, forecasting, customer segmentation, text mining, heathcare, etc.) appeal to you. Also let us know what analytics techniques (e.g., regression, visualization, predictive analytics, market-basket analysis, clustering, time-series, web scrapting, etc.) are your favorites, if you have any so far. Finally, address your software and/or programming proficiencies (Excel, R, Python, JMP, NCSS, etc).
- Write-up to the Airline Delay Mini-Case
Evaluation and Acceptance:
- Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview with a potential faculty mentor in the weeks following the application deadline.
- Offers will be made and formal acceptances must be completed before the Spring semester has concluded.