Applied learning is emphasized throughout the year with individual and/or team assignments that focus on healthcare-specific examples of business strategies like financial planning and process improvement.
Instead of teaching elective courses or classes on separate business disciplines, professors address real-world problems from multiple perspectives and focus on common challenges that executives share across all industries and countries.
At the end of each residence period, participants complete a series of written assignments applying the concepts and tools they just learned to their organization. These assessments will outline strategic actions for participants’ employers.
- Financial analysis
- Customer value analysis
- Assessment of supplier and customer conditions in the healthcare industry
- Competitive environment assessment
- Process analysis in a healthcare setting
- Critical review of the role of IT
- In-depth analysis of human capital
Organizational Action Project
During their Organizational Action Project (OAP) EMBA participants design a project around an issue of major importance to their organization. They work with a faculty advisor and their own corporate team to implement it, with deliverables scheduled throughout the program year.
Similar to a thesis, the project is graded independently of all other assignments, and our students’ average $6.5 million in return to their companies through OAPs.
- Inventory planning
- Electronic medical record integration in ED
- Developing a formal program for physician leadership
- Product identification for patients with high-deductible health plans
- Analysis of strategic options related to capital formation and value assessment
- Overhaul of talent acquisition processes
- Creation of a metric dashboard to assist with operational efficiencies
- Five-year strategic plan for surgical services unit
- Business plan for assisted living facility
- Defining career paths and updating training programs as part of a reorganization
- Improving regulatory audit performance
- ED charge-capturing enhancement
- Throughput time reduction in ED
- Creation of new service line for a hospital system
- Business plan for a memory care unit