Learning communities help first-year students make lasting connections with peers in a particular area of interest. Students attend classes together, live in the same residence hall, and participate in a variety of enrichment and leadership opportunities outside the classroom.
Venture Living Learning Community
Venture LLC provides first-year business students an instant community that will last the duration of their academic careers.
Located in the heart of campus, Hess Hall serves as home base for all Venture LLC students. This newly renovated residence hall houses the Hess Grocery, a book and supply store, a workout facility, two laundry rooms and a post office. The Haslam Business Building and Hodges Library are only a short walk from Hess Hall.
Venture LLC students develop strong bonds while taking common courses, forming study groups, participating in tutoring sessions, building teamwork skills, interacting with business faculty and executives, and connecting to the Haslam community.
- Business Administration 100 – Approaches to the Haslam College of Business (1 hour).
- Math 123 – Finite Mathematics (3 hours).
- Communication Studies 240 – Business and Professional Communication (3 hours).
- Business Administration 102 – Service Learning Seminar (1 hour).
- Economics 201 – Introductory Economics (4 hours).
- English 102 – English Composition II, or English 255 – Public Writing (3 hours).
Guest speakers and field trips provide students with the opportunity to connect coursework to their personal goals and interests and begin building the skills and knowledge needed to become future business and community leaders.
Students enhance their interpersonal and leadership skills through real-world, community-based service learning projects while also gaining a greater appreciation of the role that business leaders play in the community.
Past Service Partners Have Included
- Junior Achievement of East Tennessee
- The University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute
- The Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley
Venture LLC is open to all first-year students in the Haslam College of Business. Applicants will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students interested in participating in Venture LLC should first complete their online housing application. Once complete, students will be able to access the online Living and Learning Community application. For more information, contact the Department of University Housing.
To learn more about Venture LLC, contact the Undergraduate Programs office at (865) 974-5096 or e-mail email@example.com.
Entrepreneurship Learning Community
The Entrepreneurship Learning Community is designed to bring together students from different colleges who share a desire to become value-creators and successful entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurship LC provides an opportunity to interact with other students who are interested in some day starting a business.
Entrepreneurship Learning Community Requirements:
- Enroll in Business Administration 103 during the fall and spring semesters.
- Study, analyze and discuss real-life cases focused on the challenges facing early–stage entrepreneurs. Case studies will be taken from “The Knack” by authors Brodsky and Burlingham both of whom are practicing entrepreneurs and columnists for INC Magazine.
- Participate in the Vol Court Speaker Series and Pitch Competition