Updates and Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Faculty Member and Student receive Chancellor’s Awards

May 1, 2014

Each year, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, honors its faculty, students, and staff for their extraordinary achievements. Two awards went to people involved in the Business Analytics Bachelor’s program.

Brian Stevens received the Excellence in Teaching and Undegraduate Advising award.  This award is bestowed by the Office of the Chancellor and the Teaching Council of the Faculty Senate to honor outstanding work in the classroom and in advising. Brian is a lecturer for Statistics 201 and was a graduate from the first class of Business Analytics Master’s program.  It was his experience as a teaching assistant in Statistics 201 where he realized his passion for teaching. Brian engages students with a mix of humor and know-how. He is highly regarded for his enthusiasm, thoroughness, and appreciation for the material he teaches. Knowing that attention fosters learning, Stevens applies a formula to his teaching: “Around 80 percent of class time must be spent assimilating and reinforcing relevant material while the other 20 percent is spent keeping students engaged.” One student noted, “He is very attentive with communicating with students and his door is always open for help. The effort he puts toward all of his students is truly admirable.”

Jasmine Hammons has left no stone unturned in learning about this campus. As an ambassador for admissions and her college, she takes seriously her role as a resource for fellow Volunteers. A senior in business analytics from Bradenton, Florida, Hammons is president of the Mortar Board Society and vice president of finance for the National Pan-Hellenic Council. She also is a founding member and vice president for the UT Business Analytics Society. For the last four years, Hammons coordinated the National Foundation for Suicide Prevention campus walk. She also volunteers with Remote Area Medical, which provides basic health care to underserved populations.  Jasmine will continue her studies at UT as a Business Analytics Masters student.  We are very lucky to have her amongst our ranks.