Shay Scott, Ph.D. is Professor of Practice and the James and Murray Benz Supply Chain Leadership Fellow in the Department of Supply Chain Management at The University of Tennessee. Since 2014, Dr. Scott has also served as a visiting faculty member at the Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU Wien).
Dr. Scott is faculty director for the Executive MBA for Global Supply Chain and on the core faculty with responsibility for international business. He is also the faculty director for GSCI’s two MS-SCM programs—the Tri-Continent MS-SCM and the online MS-SCM, in addition to other teaching duties in UT’s graduate, undergraduate, and executive education programs.
Prior to joining the University of Tennessee, he led the Americas International Logistics organization at Dell where he had responsibility for Dell’s outbound supply chain from the US to points throughout the world. While at Dell he also held a variety of other positions of increasing responsibility including leadership positions on key projects that helped to pioneer and refine Dell’s renowned supply chain. Dr. Scott has a US patent for innovative logistics processes.
Scott holds a Ph.D., an MBA, a Master of Science in Industrial & Systems Engineering, and a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. His research focuses in international business, supply chain management, and the future of management education. He and Ted Stank are authors of Leveraging Supply Chain Management to Drive Organizational Success (GRL 2018), and Dr. Scott has written on critical issues for the field such as talent development and digitalization. Dr. Scott has consulted with firms across a wide variety of industries and maintains deep connections with industry. He has studied, worked, and traveled in 55+ countries on six continents.
Media & Press Releases
- As University of Tennessee strives to connect with online students, some rankings rise - Knoxville News Sentinel
- Meet the Future "Mechanics of the World" at the University of Tennessee Global Supply Chain Institute - Supply Chain Now
- The Rainmakers - DC Velocity
- Supply Chain Leaders Move to the C-Suite - Dallas Business Journal
- Building Tomorrow's Supply Chain - The Purchaser
- University students flock to supply chain majors - Marketplace
- Companies are re-evaluating their approach to supply chain management - Smart Business Magazine
- Worried about supply chain issues this holiday season? Here's what Nashville shoppers need to know - Tennessean
- Kennedy: Two-day delivery becomes eight - The Daily Gazette Co.
- Farm-to-Consumer Businesses Boom as COVID-19 Crisis Cripples Meat Industry - Nashville Tennessean