Professor Thomas J. Goldsby is the Dee and Jimmy Haslam Chair in Logistics at the Haslam College of Business, University of Tennessee-Knoxville. He holds a B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Evansville, M.B.A. from the University of Kentucky, and Ph.D. in Marketing and Logistics from Michigan State University.
Dr. Goldsby is immediate-past Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Business Logistics and former Co-Editor-in-Chief of Transportation Journal. He serves as Co-Faculty Director for the Global Supply Chain Institute at the Haslam College. His research interests include logistics strategy, supply chain integration, and the theory and practice of lean and agile supply chain strategies. He has published more than 90 articles in academic and professional journals and serves as a frequent speaker at academic conferences, executive education seminars, and professional meetings. Professor Goldsby is co-/author of five books: Logistics Management: Enhancing Competitiveness and Customer Value (MyEducator, 2015), The Definitive Guide to Transportation (Financial Times, 2014), Global Macrotrends and Their Impact on Supply Chain Management (Financial Times, 2013), Lean Six Sigma Logistics: Strategic Development to Operational Success (J. Ross Publishing, 2005), and The Design and Management of Sustainable Supply Chains (Cambridge University Press, under development). Dr. Goldsby is a recipient of multiple best paper awards and he has received recognition for excellence in teaching at the University of Tennessee, The Ohio State University, University of Kentucky, and Iowa State University. In 2019, he was recognized as a “Rainmaker” by DC Velocity magazine and received the inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award from Supply Chain Leaders in Action (SCLA). Dr. Goldsby delivered a course on Business Operations for The Great Courses’ Critical Business Skills series in 2015, which continues to rate as a bestselling Nonfiction/Business title at audible.com, and was rated among the Top 50 bestsellers (#27) among all audiobooks during Summer 2020 by Newsweek.
Dr. Goldsby has supervised more than 100 Lean/Six Sigma supply chain projects with industry partners, chaired eight Ph.D. dissertations, and served as an investigator on multiple federally funded research projects, exceeding $3.5 million in grant proceeds. In his spare time, Dr. Goldsby competes as one of the top masters (over-40) runners in America for distances between the mile and the marathon.
Media & Press Releases
- UPS strike looms in a world grown reliant on everything delivered everywhere all the time - WiscNews
- 'I meditate when I'm in thrift stores' | How one mother saves money despite rising prices at thrift stores - WBIR
- 10 Tips to Navigating the Costliest Stages of the Supply Chain - Inbound Logisitcs
- Wärtsilä Oyj : From mustard to semiconductors, climate change is transforming the global supply chain - Market Screener
- A New Year’s Resolution for Stemming Retail’s Returns Tsunami - Wall Street Journal
- Why there's a children's Tylenol and Motrin shortage — and how we could end it - Salon
- As supply chains unclog, consumers enjoy (tentative) relief - AP News
- Got space in your luggage? Air travelers get paid to carry parcels - CBC
- U.S. mining needs major boost to meet surging EV demand - Automotive News
- Panel: Winning Supply Chain Transformational Leadership Practices - EP Thought Leaders Series