Undergraduate Marketing Program
What is Marketing?
Marketing in an organization has responsibility for identifying who customers are, what they need and want, and how best to meet those needs/wants by creating and delivering superior value to them. Marketing professionals use strategy tools to target customers, create value propositions and positioning for each target, and deliver and communicate value to these customers through product design, pricing, advertising, personal selling, promotion, and distribution.
Career Opportunities in Marketing
Marketing education enables one to pursue varied career opportunities critical to organizations. Typically, a career in marketing begins in either consumer or industrial sales or retailing, which eventually may lead to management positions in any of several areas. For example, marketing professionals may hold positions in advertising, brand management, sales management, promotion management, marketing research, distribution, and other related areas.
High School Preparation
High school students should follow a college preparatory curriculum and take their high school’s recommended courses in Math, English, and Foreign Language. Appropriate electives include any business courses, as well as courses in computer software applications and written and oral communication. The Haslam College of Business further encourages all high school students to 1) explore international business issues and opportunities, 2) participate in student organizations and clubs, and 3) volunteer in their community.
How do I Major in Marketing?
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, students have multiple options in pursuing the study of marketing as their undergraduate major.
- Marketing Major, BS in Business Administration – Business Analytics Concentration
- Marketing Major, BS in Business Administration – Collateral Option
- Marketing Major, BS in Business Administration – Information Management Concentration
- Marketing Major, BS in Business Administration – Integrated Business and Engineering Program
- Marketing Major, BS in Business Administration – International Business Concentration
- Marketing Major, BS in Business Administration – Supply Chain Management Concentration